Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Drop a Decimal, Carry the One and Call for Help! (Wait...I do need math?!)

I was good at math in high school.  Now, I was no Mathlete (that was middle school...lol) or anything, but I managed to get decent grades in most of my college prep-track math courses.  Heck, I even took calculus!

I can't say I hated it (cue Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier's "Men on Film" characters from in Living Color).  I liked math.  I like solving problems, so math, no big problem. All, except for one math section, which struck fear in the heart of my TI-83.
 Geometry. The course was more exactly called Geometry, Trigonometry, and Analysis.
More like "I'm Ruining Your GPA with Some C Minuses."
 (Yeah, I was one of those students who swore their parents were going to throw them off a bridge if I came home with a B-.  It's a wonder no one called CPS on us.)

I hated Geometry.  I don't care about imaginary/complex numbers, don't really like rhombuses (I'm more of a  circle person myself) and the only time I want to hear a "cosine" is when I tell my friends a funny story (look it up if you don't remember, that's actually quite clever if I do say so myself). I didn't do well there, and was glad to be done with that class, and happy to  think, like most my age, that I'll never have to see that stuff again.

I can add, subtract, multiply, divide, tell time and make change.  I can even do my taxes ( with the help of some software).  I'm good, right?

So, needless to say, my heart sank a bit when I received my Macro Econ syllabus.  Now, I expect to see some math.  Algebra, Calculus, stuff I can remember or fake with a calculator if needed.  Not the G-word,  not that!  All this on top of the fact that, when I last took any of these subjects, Facebook didn't even exist yet (tell that to the kiddies and I'm sure you'll get a gasp of horror!) 

What to do?  I have a test in this stuff on the first day of class!  Well, I have pulled up a few resources to refresh what little math memory I have left.  If you have mistaken E=mc2 for the Quadratic Equation, you may want to bookmark them as well.


Are you smarter than your calculator?

Resources Available:
Your School’s Math Department- Check to see if there is a bulletin board or website postings for pizza- or money-starved students willing to tutor! ( So your next math problem will be “How many pizzas do I have to buy to pass this test?)
Other School’s Math Departments- many of the best resources I have found have been free teaching aids posted online by other University professors. A quick Google search of “quadratic equation” or “systems of equations” (not quite as scary as it sounds) should yield some great step-by-step instructions.
Dean of Students or Academic Support Services/Advising- I also learned from my advisor that many students aren’t as confident in their math skills (we are not alone) and has set up tutoring and study group sessions.
Hey, insult me all you want, just show me how to do it!
My professor suggested, and I will be humbly buying:
RECOMMENDED COURSE MATERIALS
1) Algebra Success in 20 Minutes a Day (Skill Builders), 4th ed., LearningExpress Editors (ISBN 978-
1576857199)
2) Geometry Success in 20 Minutes a Day (Skill Builders), 3rd ed., LearningExpress Editors (ISBN 978-
1576857458)

No comments:

Post a Comment