Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Wayward Matriculation through Higher Education

I am a 28 (almost 29, ugh, don’t remind me) year old, African-American woman resuming my pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree after an almost 9-year hiatus from college.  A lot has changed in the near decade since I first landed on a college campus:  most of my classroom peers collaborate through Facebook instead of  pull all-nighters in person, and they are more likely hit Google Scholar before hitting the library to research a paper.

Okay, that’s the scholar part.  Why would I call myself a “prodigal scholar”?  Well, the first time around, I had it easy:  I had a great opportunity, lots of talent, a scholarship… I had a pretty clear path for success ahead of me. 

But alas, this story is probably a familiar one:  girl goes to a college far away, girl sees a chance to reinvent her previously nerdy life, girl meets boy, girl loses interest in class, makes parents angry, parents send girl to another school, rinse and repeat, and girl has to learn about consequences the hard way.
That was quite a few years ago. I took a few years off of school to work and get my act together.  I have been taking classes for a while to return to the college environment, and have just officially applied and been accepted to matriculate in an Economics program.

This time is definitely the charm, however, I now will be working full-time and studying and will really have to determine a work-life balance that allows me to achieve my goals.  Also, the program I have decided to pursue is no joke, difficulty-wise.

I know my situation isn't so different from many others out there who are balancing work, school, family, and a myriad of other responsibilities in order to grow in their lives.  I'm hoping my experiences, and the experiences of others who comment here, will help a growing community of adult students find their way to their graduation ceremony.

Cheers to being up for a challenge.  I meet with my advisor for the first time tomorrow.

Best,

PS

1 comment:

  1. Having been a prodigal scholar myself, I can relate to your journey! The "non-traditional" student needs a louder voice as we have a unique perspective and often a lot of depth in contrast to the traditional teen scholar. I can't wait to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete