Friday, January 20, 2012

My wallet under attack... The scholar vs. the evil textbook companies!

So, I kind of made it through my math pre-requisite test.  I'm just planning on attending the review sessions for the re-takes, that's all.  I can take a re-take, I'm not too proud for that anymore .

Now, to get ready for the real lectures, I need some books.  I need some... money.  I might need to win the lottery!!

 I guess to get a good, price, you know the old saying.You gotta shop around... (sha-na-na-na... oh maybe I'd better stop).

Nothing will motivate one like looking a $200 book price tag for my Macro-Econ course in the eye serial numbers.  Yikes!!  Books, can't do class without 'em, can't pay the rent with 'em!

I usually have a policy: books in my major I buy and keep, other books are rent-worthy; however, I folded when I saw what that would run me.  I though of the shoes that could have been purchased bills that could be taken care of, and realized I am going to have to be a little more resourceful.

How does that benefit you, you say?  Well anything I learn, I'm passing on!  Here is a brief rundown of some of the sources I use to find cheaper textbooks:


University Bookstore Price
Purchase (new): $190 (my wallet cried, I couldn’t do it)
Purchase (used): $143 (I think this grown woman cried a little, too!) 
Rental:  $95 (Is Warren Buffet going to help me study or something?  Really!?)

Cheap textbooks-
www.Amazon.com:  Purchase (used):  83.00 with free shipping (3rd party re-seller)
Purchase (New): $131
Kindle version: $118 (Prof allows the book and notes for quizzes, but no e-devices. Boo.)

www.Chegg.com  Rental:  62.99
You can rent or buy books online with a 21-day guaranteed return policy. E-books are available with a 14-day guaranteed policy.  I haven’t used it.  Reviews are welcome.
E-book rental: $74.99
 E books only.  I used this for a previous course where I knew I wasn’t keeping the book.  Good variety of intro/core course books.  I like the fact that you can print out book pages and your notes and highlights.  
I did find another book, for another class, I’ll need through the semester, but don’t plan on keeping, that wasn’t available for rent at the bookstore.  It is going to be $15 bucks cheaper here. (Woo-hoo.)

www.Half.com by Ebay
Purchase (used): $82.39 lowest
This is an ebay website, so all of the books are re-sales.  Most ship through media mail, but there were faster options available for additional cost.  Lots of instructor copies (I guess profs are selling their books, too!)
Purchase (new): $85.00
 Also $74.79, but an international version (BOO).
Also a re-seller, its carries quite a few textbooks and specializes in rare books.  Watch out for International Editions of books here (a problem if you are dealing with math or measurements, etc.).

Happy shopping (and learning)!


No comments:

Post a Comment